Oral Health Initiative (OHI)
The goal of the Oral Health Initiative (OHI) is to decrease the percentage of children ages birth through 5 years in San Diego County with untreated dental disease. In order to accomplish this, OHI provides comprehensive dental services for children 0-5 and pregnant women including: dental screenings, exams, care coordination, treatment and parent and provider education focused on prevention. Services are provided by 13 community clinic and health center organizations and two education partners.
First 5 Commission of San Diego The commission awarded the Health Quality Partners a grant to implement a countywide Oral Health Initiative (OHI). The development of a comprehensive countywide approach has allowed community health centers and collaborative partners to pool resources and strengthen programs.
As the Countywide Coordinator for OHI, HQP administers the Treatment Fund for Children and Pregnant women. This fund covers the cost of dental exams and other treatment services for under and uninsured patients. Funding is also available for specialty treatment services for children ages 11 months-5 years whose oral health needs cannot be met in a community clinic setting. All referrals to the two treatment funds are initiated by staff at the participating clinics.
OHI clinic partners include 10 nonprofit community health centers that provide oral health prevention, education, care coordination and dental treatment services at approximately 25 dental clinic sites.
- Fallbrook Family Health Center
- Family Health Centers of San Diego
- Indian Health Council
- La Maestra Community Health Centers
- Neighborhood Healthcare
- North County Health Services
- Operation Samahan
- San Diego American Indian Health Center
- San Ysidro Health Center
- Vista Community Clinic
OHI also partners with three nonprofit community health centers that offer oral health prevention, education and care coordination services:
- Imperial Beach Health Center
- Mountain Health and Community Services
- San Diego Family Care
The San Diego Children’s Dental Clinic, operated by San Ysidro Health Center, provides oral health screening and education to children with special needs and tertiary and advanced specialty pediatric dental services.
- The San Diego County Dental Health Initiative/Share the Care offers education to childcare providers and community-based organizations on the oral health needs of young children.
- Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego/Anderson Center for Dental Care and other OHI partners educate general dentists on pediatric dental care and treating women during pregnancy. They also train prenatal care providers and primary care providers about routinely incorporating oral health screenings into patient care.
For more information on the Program, please contact Mary Ann Bundang