Oral Health Initiative (OHI)
First 5 San Diego
Decrease the percentage of pregnant women and children ages birth through 5 with untreated dental disease.
OHI provides children ages 0-5 and pregnant women with access to comprehensive oral health services. As the Countywide Coordinator for OHI, HQP administers the Treatment Fund for children and pregnant women. Only the participating community health centers and approved treatment providers offer direct oral health services. This fund covers the cost of dental exams and other treatment services for uninsured and underinsured children birth through 5 and pregnant women who are seen at OHI health centers. The Specialty Treatment Pool is also available for specialty treatment services for qualified children whose oral health needs cannot be met in a health center setting and/or require sedation services. Enrollment in the Treatment Fund and referrals under the Specialty Treatment Pool are initiated by staff at the participating health centers.
OHI provides the following comprehensive oral health services:
- Dental screenings
- Dental exams
- Dental treatment (preventative, restorative, and specialty)
- Care coordination
- Oral health education to children, parents/caregivers and pregnant women
- Oral health training to health providers, ancillary staff, and community-based organization staff
- School based services are provided at select preschools.
Children ages 0-5 and pregnant women may receive treatment services, free of charge, under the OHI Treatment Fund according to the following requirements:
Requirements for Children:
- The child is under the age of 6.
- The child does not have dental insurance (Medi-Cal, private insurance, etc.).
- The child has been screened for insurance eligibility and is currently deemed ineligible.
Requirements for Pregnant Women:
- The woman is pregnant or had a baby in the last 90 days (3 months).
- The woman does not have dental insurance.
- The woman has been screened for insurance eligibility and is currently deemed ineligible.
May Ann Bundang